Friday, October 19, 2012

Bibimbap and Macaroons


I went home this weekend from college (home for me is about a 2 ½ hour drive away) and decided to drive up to my not-so-local Asian market, a place I frequent whenever I’m back on breaks. I call it the “Asian market,” but it also includes insurance, dental, and law offices for the local Asian community.


Macaroons
Usually when I visit the Asian market I only go to the bakery and the Super H Mart (a huge grocery store with a very strong, fishy smell). The bakery is probably my favorite place to visit because it sells a variety of drinks, like bubble teas, as well as sweet, fluffy breads, which are often filled with bean paste. The bakery also has a glass display case filled with cakes, macaroons, and loaves of bread, and the bakery itself has a really nice, relaxed atmosphere.

Today, however, I changed things up a little by checking out a Korean BBQ place called Omi Korean Grill and Bar, a restaurant that serves a variety of authentic Korean dishes.

Now, before you decide to go hit up your local Korean BBQ, there are probably a few things you should know. First, pretty much everything you order is going to come with a variety of “banchan” or side dishes, as well as rice and soup. I didn’t realize this before ordering, so it came as a bit of a shock when the waitress came with not only my main order, but also a ton of other mini dishes as well.

These side dishes include things like kimchi, which is a staple in the Korean diet, noodles, and cooked vegetables. I tried each one, and they were all very, very good (and spicy). Evidently, you can also get free refills on any side dish.

Secondly, the utensils used for traditional Korean meals are a bit different from American utensils, and each utensil has a specific use. The utensils we received at Omi included a pair of chopsticks, a large spoon…and that’s it. If you go to a Korean restaurant and only see these two items, don’t panic and wonder how the heck you’re going to eat your food. They have forks for the less-skilled among us, but in general, the spoon is used to eat the rice and soup, and the chopsticks are used for the side dishes and main meal. I used the chopsticks. :) 

The main dish I ordered was “Bibimbap,” a popular Korean meal that includes meat, rice, a variety of vegetables, and a fried egg. The food came with the vegetables and meat already in a bowl, so all I had to do was dump the rice in, mix it up, and add the sauce, which is the traditional way to eat the dish.

Overall, I had a great experience at this restaurant. The food was delicious and very flavorful, and the service was decent. I would definitely go there again.

3 comments:

  1. I love Korean food! I also love the Asian market, and yes the one I visit whenever I make the drive the big city to see my mom is a giant Super H Market with a bazillion little shops inside, and lots of posters of Hyun Bin and Lee Min Ho looking hot.
    More so than the bakery though (do you eat the sweet bean-paste buns?) is that the market also has a huuuge food-court section where you can basically walk up and down for hours marveling at the pictures of food (because that's the only way I can recognize half of the dishes). My knowledge of Korean and Hangul is severely limited, though I can pick out my favorite rice and soup dishes and order something sufficiently well. Mostly though I end up spending hours and hours pouring over my Korean cooking books, learning to replicate my favorite dishes (if and when I have the inclination or the time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the bean paste buns! I usually get green bean or red bean flavored ones. I don't know a whole lot about Korean food, but I definitely plan on trying out more dishes in the future. My family actually made bibimbap one night, and it came out pretty good. I have to say, though, kimchi is a little too spicy for me to handle!

      Delete
    2. The green paste is my favorite. :)
      I found that my taste and tolerance for spicy foods developed over time. Once I had to eat Korean food with a gallon jug of water next to me (and I'd drink it all too!). Now I don't have to temper anything with water or drink.. I'm going to say that's because my tolerance increased, and hope it's not because I've killed all the taste buds on my tongue! :D

      Delete