Saturday, November 24, 2012

3 Things I Love/Hate About the Holidays


Love:
Christmas Break:
Since I’ve been in college, I’ve grown to appreciate the comforts of home a lot more.  When I’m at school, I eat horribly, sleep horribly, and just feel plain stressed most of the time. When I go home, however, I get to eat home-cooked meals and sleep in a big, comfy bed. I’m miles away from the pressure of exams and homework, and I get to spend time with my family and close friends…for an entire month.  Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of great things about college, too, but by the time finals week rolls around and I’ve been up until 3 or 4 a.m. every morning studying for exams, Christmas break is like a gift from the heavens.

Cold Weather:
Winter is by far my favorite season, and part of that is simply because I love cold weather. Cold weather means cozy sweaters, hot chocolate and apple cider, and gathering around the fireplace with family. The landscape looks beautiful and surreal when everything is covered in frost, and it's refreshing to feel cold air on my face while the rest of me is bundled up in layers of clothing. 

Pumpkin Spice:
I think we all know what I’m talking about with this one: that heavenly elixir Starbucks puts out every winter. My holidays would not be complete without it.

Hate:
Black Friday:
Nothing quite says “Happy Holidays” like fighting off hordes of crazed shoppers. I went to the mall with my mom and sister this past Black Friday, and the first thing my mom said before we left the house was, “Do you have your taser ready?” Nuff’ said.

Fake Santas:
I can’t be the only one who thinks there’s something a little creepy about that man in the mall with the unsightly white beard and red suit who holds people’s children and asks them about their deepest, darkest desires. Okay, I may have exaggerated that last part, but there are definitely some questionable things about this holiday tradition.

Christmas Commercials:


I don’t know if I’ve just never noticed it before or if this year is particularly special, but recently I’ve seen a plethora of bad Christmas commercials that essentially equate Christmas to receiving gifts. I’m looking at you, Famous Footwear and Radio Shack. I would hope Christmas means more to our society than presents, but then again, we have shows like "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" and "The Housewives of Insert Big City Name Here."  In such a materialistic culture, I guess I shouldn’t set my expectations so high.

And with that, I would like to wish everyone a happy holiday season. J

1 comment:

  1. Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books. Sure, I understand. You are young you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a Vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, But how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity, I can help you solve any problem you are having
    (1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) If you want to stop having bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child.
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) If you want to stop your divorce.
    (10 If you want to divorce your husband.
    (11) If you want your wishes to be granted.
    contact: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete