Thursday, November 8, 2012

Review: Vampire Prosecutor (2011)



I recently completed the original Vampire Prosecutor, and my initial reaction after finishing the show was simply: wow. I wrote a first impression of the show a few weeks ago, and now that I’ve finally finished it, I can say that it did not disappoint.

Synopsis:
The drama follows Prosecutor Min Tae Yeon and his special investigation team as they solve various crimes in the city. The catch is that Prosecutor Min is a vampire, and he uses his vampire abilities to help him solve seemingly unsolvable cases. As the drama progresses, some of the cases seem to be linked to the existence of other vampires in the area, and Prosecutor Min works to not only find these other vampires but also to find the truth behind his own mysterious vampire past.

What first grabbed me about this drama was the unique way in which it was shot. The cinematography in the show is highly stylized, and it remains that way throughout the series. With a fancy smorgasbord of reverse action shots, image superimposition, and flashbacks, viewers will witness something that’s rarely seen in kdramas—innovation.

Some neat shots:



Now, I know what you’re thinking when you see the title Vampire Prosecutor:  “UGHHH not another Twilight.”

I have to admit that I was a little skeptical, too. I’ve gone through my fair share of vampire books and movies, and I was not too keen on picking up more of the same thing, but Vampire Prosecutor is completely different. In fact, the vampire elements in the show play more of a background role. The drama puts more emphasis on the various individual crimes than on the overarching vampire "whodunit" story.
Prosecutor Min in vamp mode
Of course, this changes near the end of the drama when some of the elements from the vampire story begin to come together, but the drama mainly sticks to the crime scenes.  

In addition, these vampires are not your relatively benign, Twilight vampires.
These vampires kill…a lot.

If you have a weak stomach, then this show is probably not for you. There is a generous helping of fairly graphic scenes in the drama, and while the protagonist himself does not drink blood from living humans, the other vampires in the show do. There’s also a lot of blood in general associated with the crimes they investigate. For me, though, those elements just added to the realism of the show and made it all the more intriguing.

Another great thing about the drama was the characters. Not just the main group of investigators, but also the side characters and enemies all played an important role in the drama. Even though many characters were only around for one episode, the storyline fleshed out their stories so beautifully that I felt I knew them almost as well as the protagonists.

The only negative thing I have to say about Vampire Prosecutor is that the ending did feel a bit rushed, but everything else was spot on.

Overall, I would highly recommend checking out the series, especially for horror/mystery fans. You will not be disappointed. 


Happy watching!  

4 comments:

  1. I started this series a few months ago becaue it looked intriguing. However I dropped it after only 3 episodes.. Not sure why. I've got so far, nothing really bad to say about it. Maybe I just don't really like crime shows. I keep meaning to pick it back up again though..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! There are some pretty interesting crime scenes as you get further into the drama as well as some plot twists. Although, if you don't like crime shows I can see how it might be hard to get into it, but I think it gets more interesting as it goes along.

      Delete
  2. Hello. This is A.K.I.A. Talking…
    Thanks for the great review of Vampire Prosecutor 뱀파이어 검사 (2011) Season 1! I enjoyed it a lot.
    I added it to my collection of reviews for the show. The show has now an average score of 80%.
    Here is a link to the page if you would like to give it a look:
    http://www.akiatalking.com/2015/01/vampire-prosecutor-2011-season-1.html
    Thanks again for the review. If you want to do something with my blog, please contact me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books. Sure, I understand. You are young you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a Vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, But how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity, I can help you solve any problem you are having
    (1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) If you want to stop having bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child.
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) If you want to stop your divorce.
    (10 If you want to divorce your husband.
    (11) If you want your wishes to be granted.
    contact: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete